Sunday, February 7, 2010

In Which I Travel to Utah with Madeleine

Okay, I've come to the realization that if I wait until I have time to write a thorough, pithy, and fascinating blog entry about my trip to Utah, it will never happen. I'm going to settle for seeing what I can type in the next five minutes (or less) before someone pounds on my door demanding attention.
So a week and a half ago Madeleine and I hopped a plane and headed for Utah. She had no school and we had two free tickets that were about to expire; that and the fact that she's never been there made it the perfect time for a trip. For most of our visit we stayed with Jeff's brother and sister-in-law, Matt and Marta, who were fantastic hosts. We also got to meet their super cute kids for the first time ever: Beau, who is five, and Cash and Pierce, who are two. Beau was particularly entertaining and had a lot to say, despite the fact that he kept telling us that he couldn't say anything because he was too shy. I think he needs to look the word up in a dictionary. One of the cutest things I've ever seen is Beau dressed for pre-school in his kilt (it was heritage day). Did I think to take a picture? Of course not, I stink at taking pictures.
The first day we were there we drove to Park City in our rented Jeep Patriot (I'd never buy one, my hands are still vibrating slightly). Since the Sundance Film Festival was going on I'd ordered tickets for the most interesting-sounding film that was being shown at a time that was convenient for us and wasn't already sold out. Not a lot to choose from. We decided to live on the wild side and went with the Spotlight Surprise documentary.
When I picked up the tickets at the box office I discovered that we'd be seeing "Exit Through the Gift Shop," a Banksy film about graffiti artists. It was quite good, so my gamble paid off.
Despite the fact that Madeleine moves at the speed of a sloth we had a great day.
 (Banksy explaining how the film came to be.)

I'm being summoned, so in my next installment I'll tell the exciting story of being in the middle of Idaho without a bathroom in sight. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

The Andrew Family said...

Now I want to see the film! And what's his name's face too!