Monday, March 1, 2010

In Which We Drive to Idaho and Look for a Bathroom

Anyone who knows me can tell you that I don't really like to put myself out there. For example, I wouldn't want to knock on a stranger's door and ask to use their bathroom. But somehow I found myself doing just that during the drive from Salt Lake to Rexburg.
Now, I have driven this road before, but it was many years ago and other, more capable people were actually in charge of things like driving and stopping for potty breaks. To make a long story short, we got caught in no man's land without a bathroom in sight.
I also learned that if there is no sign indicating the presence of a bathroom at an exit, then there really is no bathroom at the exit. We decided to get off anyway, thinking surely there must be a gas station somewhere, right? Someone lives here, somewhere, and those people need gasoline. No. No sign, no gas station. After almost ten miles of bumpy road we were beyond desperate. You're probably thinking 'What kind of idiot drives ten miles down a bumpy, virtually unpopulated road thinking that a bathroom will appear out of thin air?' That idiot would be me.
Thankfully, someone was home at the second house we tried, and was kind enough to let two idiotic tourists use her bathroom. She even apologized that it wasn't tidier. It could have been the most disgusting bathroom on the face of the planet, and I would have been happy to use it.

2 comments:

Marci said...

I am excited to see that you have a blog! It will be great to see what you all are up to. And you are hilarious! I think I would have just gone on the side of the road - if we were in the middle of nowhere. But that is just me - mom of three boys. :)

Ellen said...

That is such a funny story! Even the second time :)