Saturday, October 23, 2010

Already Sick of School

At the tender age of six, Carter is already sick of school. Well, he says he's "tired of going to school." And I believe him. Going to school all day, every day, for five days in a row has got to be exhausting after a year of half days in kindergarten and a summer of doing absolutely nothing.
There have been a couple of incidents, most notably during his first full week of school when I had to carry him out to the car. I did get to say: "I've carried your brother into that school, and I'll carry you too if I have to!" which for some reason is fun to say, but less fun to do. Fortunately he did walk from the car to the school after I pointed out the number of witnesses getting off the line up of buses outside the building. Unfortunately, he stalled at the office and wouldn't go any further. Thank goodness for teachers who don't want you to stick around.
Now he tries the sickness tactic. There have been a few unsuccessful attempts but the best came yesterday when he was lying in bed not wanting to get up and I was trying to coax him awake.
"But I have a fever," he tells me.
I feel his forehead. Perfectly normal.
"No you don't," I reply.
"It hasn't reached my head yet."
He has a great mind. I hope he puts it to good use some day.

1 comment:

Denise said...

Your kids say the darndest things. Hope all is going well. Miss you.